Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Lucky Mom has Lucked Out!

My wonderful hubs and I have been using coupons for years for discounts on items we usually buy. When we moved to SC I met some really frugal ladies at our church who explained how to use coupons to get things FREE and to even make money with them.

I had my first experience with that this week. I have over 100 boxes of pasta in my truck (most of which is being donated to the food pantry) that I didn't pay a single cent for. In fact, at one store we not only got the pasta for free, but the difference in the coupon versus the price actually earned us some of our other groceries for free as well.

I went to http://www.muellerspasta.com and registered my email. Then I went to their coupons and promotions page. From there I printed several $0.55 and $1.00 of one item coupons.

Bi-lo has several types of pasta on sale for $1.00/box so I went there first and got a ton of boxes there. But then I noticed that Ingles had lasagna 5/$5.00 which wasn't one of the ones on sale at Bi-Lo and they had boxes of spaghetti for $0.85.

I bought 10 boxes of the items that were 5/$5 at Ingles and 18 boxes of spaghetti for $0.85 and uses my $1.00 coupons. My 10 items were free and I actually EARNED $0.15 x 18 for my boxes of spaghetti. I had no idea that Ingles allowed you to keep the difference when the coupon is worth more than the item (Bi-lo doesn't). So we ended up getting a few dollars off our other items.

Needless to say I'm goning to be printing more coupons tomorrow and head back to Ingles for more spaghetti. Then maybe I can get some fresh produce for free with the difference!

3 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite parts about couponing! You can get meats/produce for discounted prices simply by using overages to your advantage! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is awesome! Off to print some coupons!

    *new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I dropped my couponing over the holidays but I'm trying to get back into it now :)

    ReplyDelete