Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Fabric Covered Memory Board

When I was younger I had a very pink, very girly fabric memory board. I love memory boards for displaying pictures and I wanted to incorporate one into my craft area. My original one was too childish for that area and I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on a more adult themed one. So I decided to redo my original one. You can also make them from scratch fairly easily.

Tool List:
ruler
pen/pencil
scissors
screw driver
staple gun
fabric
ribbon


I forgot to take pictures of the decontruction process, but it's pretty easy. I simply ripped off the original ribbon and fabric. I didn't even both to take the original staples out, but you can if you want. I also removed the hanging hooks and kept them to reattach when I was done.

What was left was a square piece of MDF board with foam on the front. I picked out my fabric and ribbon and went to work on recovering the board.

I measured and cut my fabric and ribbon to the proper size.

I did not have a staple gun at the time, so I secured the fabric around the edges using painters tape. It works just fine for the fabric. However, for the ribbon, I had to go purchase a staple gun to make sure it would stay tight over time.



Then I reattached the hanging hardware



I do suggest adding some kind of push pin to some of the intersections of ribbon for added tightness, but once you load it up with pictures, it doesn't matter anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment